• Home
  • Resources
  • Blog - The WI Focus

Why the Initial Immigration Consultation...and Fee?

Lately we have had many potential clients call and ask us for help with their Canadian immigration matter - i.e. help to apply for a Canadian Visitor Visa. When we suggest that they come to complete a consultation first - that is paid, many have asked why? 

“Why can’t we just fill out the forms without a pre-assessment?”, many have questioned. 

1. A consultation is a service. As we all know, any great service comes at a price.

2. Unlike many of the agencies in Jamaica that offer visa form completion, our staff is educated in Canadian Immigration Law including our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant who is in good standing and regulated by Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council.

3. Just like how you cannot be hired for a job without an interview, we cannot advise you to apply for a visa without knowing you. This includes your prior history, current status and what exactly you hope to achieve in Canada.

Williams Immigration suggests a consultation with our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant because it is an opportunity to understand what you hope to achieve in your Canadian immigration matter. This scheduled time is important to discuss how we can help you to overcome any past or present areas that could lead to the refusal of your Canadian visa application. Our consultant spends 16 + official hours each year to stay up-to-date with Canadian Immigration Law and ethical practice management. We devote each day to reading Canadian Immigration News and keeping you abreast of what is happening Canada with new immigrants, visitors to Canada, international students, working in Canada and family sponsorship.

Our aim is to educate you in Canadian immigration law and how it applies to you and your desires to enter Canada in your present situation. Everyone has a unique situation, and so how we approach and complete your visa application package will be unique and tailored to you too.

Our nominal initial consultation fee covers the time spent to meet with you. We will discuss your Canadian immigration desires and provide you with accurate advice that will allow you to make a decision to either go ahead with your application on your own, retain us to meticulously complete a submission package on your behalf or in some cases, our advice may be for you to wait and to not yet apply until you have overcome possible reasons that we know would lead you to a denial from the Canadian Visa Application Centre.

In the end, paying a consultation fee allows you to gain a better understanding of Canadian immigration law and how it applies to you. Consulting with Williams Immigration could save you from paying $185 CAD (Government fees + biometric fee) in fees when your application is not ready for submission due to errors, gaps in information and/or you not meeting a necessary requirement(s).

Consult with Williams Immigration today to find out whether you are rightfully eligible to apply for a Canadian visitor visa, study permit, work permit or eligible to sponsor family.

Book your consultation: 876-648-9541 or WhatsApp us 876-341-VISA (8472)

Email us: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



When the Removal Order becomes a Deportation Order

Yesterday in Toronto, Canada headlines were made when Black Lives Matters (Toronto) staged a protest in support of  Beverley Braham and her plea to stay in Canada despite receiving a deportation order. “Let Beverley Stay” was the chant that rang out in Dundas Square, Toronto during the protest. Black Lives Matters is concerned that this is another case of trying to separate black families.

The situation has made the news because she is a black woman, married to a Canadian citizen, is currently awaiting the processing of her husband’s spousal sponsorship application and she has just given birth to a baby whom she delivered in Canada. Also, she was locked in immigration detention for 3 days with her baby before being released and faced with the order to leave Canada by September 21, 2017.

We would like to take the time to educate Jamaicans and other foreign nationals in Canada on the importance of understanding the types of removal orders, the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) procedures, and how it is imperative to not overstay your visa while visiting Canada…DESPITE the fact that you may have married your partner and plan to submit a sponsorship application. The marriage would have had to happen PRIOR to the expiration date given on her visa.

According to the Toronto Star, Beverley and her husband had submitted their spousal sponsorship application to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) 11 months ago and are expecting a response in one month.  She was previously ordered to leave Canada in March 2017 at 31-weeks pregnant but she was granted an extension of 3 months.

“The only thing I did wrong was I overstayed my time.”- Beverley Braham

This would bring her to June 2017.  It is now September. Indeed, Beverley has recognized her mistake.  Despite the processing that is happening within IRCC, persons must recognize that CBSA is a separate entity that does not work in conjunction with IRCC. CBSA immigration officers have a different priority, in this case it is to ensure that foreign nationals who enter the country on a visa, leave on or before the time that was granted to them.  Persons must understand that CBSA officers in Canada have the authority to look for an individual who is out of status, arrest them and hold them in immigration detention. At this stage, they will ultimately be given a Removal Order. It does not matter what process you may have started with IRCC.

A quick lesson. A removal order given becomes a deportation order when the person decides to leave Canada voluntarily within the 30 days date of the order but they choose not to notify CBSA that they are leaving upon their departure. OR, a removal order becomes a deportation order when a person fails to leave Canada within the 30 day period of the departure order being issued. The latter is the case for Jamaican, Beverley Braham.

We are hoping for the best outcome for Beverley Braham and her family.  If she inevitably returns to Jamaica, her next step would be to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) or wait the month or two until the processing for the sponsorship application is complete.

The short time period left for the processing of the sponsorship application is why many cannot understand the need to reject her appeal and to deport her.

If you are currently visiting Canada and you are nearing the date that was given to you by the immigration officer to leave Canada, call us for help to complete an application for an extension. Based on your circumstance, you may be granted the opportunity to extend your stay in Canada.

Call us at 416-900-8472 in Canada or WhatsApp us at 1-876-341-VISA (8742). You can also email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



Recently in the news we read about a grief stricken father desperate for an answer on whether he would be granted entry to the US from Jamaica in order to attend his child’s funeral. The man had been deported from New York due to a marijuana arrest 16 years ago.

He was publicly requesting special permission from President Trump to re-enter the United States on compassionate grounds, despite being inadmissible to enter the US. Although the circumstance was heart-wrenching and garnered media attention, the father was inevitably denied a visa to enter the US by the US Embassy, Kingston, Jamaica.  

If we are to look at the same scenario with a Canadian lens, what would the process be if the appeal was made to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau?  Can a foreign national re-enter Canada after receiving a removal order?

The short answer is ‘Yes’ but first you must confirm what type of enforcement order you were given by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and how you responded to the order.

There are 3 types of removal orders:

The Departure Order

If you left Canada within the required 30 days AND verified your departure with a Canadian immigration officer at the port of exit.

If you received this notice and completed the two steps above, then you can reapply for a visitor visa for Canada without any special application or permission. If not, you will need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC).

The Exclusion Order

If you were issued an Exclusion Order and;

        • 12 months have passed since you left Canada and
        • you have a Certificate of Departure showing the date you left Canada

If the above fits your scenario You may be able to return to Canada subject to normal examination at the border.If you wish to return to Canada less than 12 months after the Exclusion Order was issued, or do not have a Certificate of Departure, you need to apply for an ARC.

Please note that reapplication for a visitor visa does not guarantee approval. 

The Deportation Order

If you were deported due to criminal activity, there is more details required and we suggest that you consult with Williams Immigration to truly understand what possibilities exist for your possible return to Canada.

If you have a criminal past in Jamaica and you are in a situation where you have a compelling reason that requires yo to visit Canada, but you are unsure about whether you will be granted re-entry, Williams Immigration can consult with you on your Canadian immigration matter. We can provide you with the correct advice and procedures when applying to the IRCC.

Call us at 648-9541, Whatsapp 341-VISA, or email us This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant will be happy to hear your case and provide you with the best solution for your scenario.


Chris Brown Denied Entry to Canada

Chris Brown Denied Entry to Canada

Chris Brown made Canadian headlines recently when he was denied entry to Canada, disappoint-ing fans who had purchased tickets to his scheduled concerts in Montreal and Toronto.  Although his publicist and Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) remained silent on exactly why he was denied entry, his felony assault conviction past is not so secret and therefore all signs point to immigration issues due to his not so distant criminal past.

Here's our brief synopsis of why Chris Brown may have been denied entry to Canada on his arri-val at  Montreal's Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport, on February 24, 2015.

An individual who has engaged in criminal activity and has been convicted of said crime outside of Canada is considered to be criminally inadmissible to enter Canada if the offence is considered a crime in Canada. Assault on another person is "an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years", according to s.266, Criminal Code of Canada.

This conviction does not mean Brown can never enter Canada.  He would have to apply for reha-bilitation.  

Rehabilitation removes the grounds of criminal inadmissibility. Rehabilitation means that you lead a stable lifestyle and that you are unlikely to be involved in any further criminal activity.

You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation if you have:
committed an act outside of Canada and five (5) years have elapsed since the act;
been convicted outside of Canada and five (5) years have passed since the end of the sentence imposed.

You may be saying to yourself, "Ok, he was convicted in 2009, hasn't five years gone by?" Yes, you're right but unfortunately due to a probation violation in 2014, Brown is still currently on proba-tion.  CIC considers probation as part of the initial sentence. Chris Brown or any other individual on probation must wait five years after the probation period ends.

Maybe his lawyers did not check that last stipulation or maybe they were keeping their fingers crossed for Brown to be approved special permission at the port of entry. 

A last attempt to be granted entry into Canada when one is found criminally inadmissible is to ap-ply for a Temporary Resident's Permit (TRP) asking for special permission to enter Canada.  This can be done at a Canadian Visa Office  outside of Canada where they will grant it to you or advise you not to travel to Canada. It can also be applied for at the port of entry - probably what Chris Brown did, but at that point, if the CBSA Officer does not approve it, they will ask you to leave Canada immediately and return to your country of departure - concert that night or no concert that night!

If you need to enter Canada but you believe you may be found to be criminally inadmissible, please call or email us at Williams Immigration.  We will consult with you to determine your eligibil-ity for a Canadian visa and whether you require help with calculating your eligibility date to enter, obtaining a record suspension (pardon), applying for a TRP, we are here and happy to assist with your immigration matter!

Call 876-648-9541 or WhatsApp 876-341-VISA. Email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Get your VISA, it’s YOUR time!

We are here to help! Consult today with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) on your Canadian immigration matter.
Jamaica: Digicel: 876-648-9541  Flow/WhatsApp Icon: 876-341-VISA(8472)
Canada: 416-900-8472
E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Visitor Visa

 Planning a visit to Canada to see family and friends, extend your stay or maybe explore as a tourist? Contact us. We can simplify the application process for your visitor visa.




Study Permit

Congratulations on your acceptance to a Canadian university or college! Avoid a delay in the processing of your study permit or find out if you require one. Contact us to find out more about how to obtain or extend your study permit.



Work Permit

Unsure whether you should apply for a work permit? Williams Immigration can help you to determine whether you are eligible to work in Canada. Call today to set-up a consultation.



Family Sponsorship

Call us today to discuss if you are eligible to sponsor your family member for permanent residence in Canada. Once the person becomes a Canadian Permanent Resident they will be able to visit, live, study and work in Canada!



Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.